2.11.2006

Into Yuma, Arizona

A new state! I'll be in Arizona for quite a while.

"Located at the point where the Gila and Colorado Rivers converge, Yuma originated as a major transportation hub, as goods came from the west coast and were shipped up river. Since prehistoric times, Yuma has been the best site for crossing the Colorado River - Spanish conquistadors traveled this route in the 1500's and the only Ocean to Ocean bridge was constructed here in 1920, linking the Eastern U.S. and the West Coast." It's the 3rd fastest growing area in the U.S.

Fort Yuma was originally built on the ground of the original ConcepciĆ³n Mission where Father Garces was massacred by Yuma Indians in 1781.

Today's weather: High of 76*F, 9% humidity, now THIS is the ultimate cycling weather, as long as I drink plenty of fluids!

Today I'm also entering the land area of the Gadsden Purchase of 1853, but I'll write more about that as I ride along, since I'll be here for a while.