1.31.2006

South towards Mexico

I'm heading south a little ways now, through the vast network of irrigated fields southeast of the Salton Sea. I'm taking this route in preference to many days of riding across the desert, the other northerly option heading east that I decided against.

First I rode through the town of Westmorland, California (population 2131), a quiet village which is about 80% people of Hispanic descent.

Then I passed through the nearby City of Brawley, California, which is about ten times bigger. The city is host of the annual Cattle Call celebration: "What began as a salute to the cattle industry - then the largest agricultural enterprise in the region - has evolved into an all-encompassing community celebration. More than 50,000 people travel to Brawley and nearby cities by car, motorhome and bus and stay for weeks - or just a day - to attend a potpourri of events, large and small, ranging from a Bluegrass Festival and a Chili Cook-Off to the Grand Parade and one of the three rodeo performances."

Alas, I'm either too late, or too early, since Cattle Call is held in November, and I must be moving on! I'm now heading south, and I'll be facing into the winter sun for the next ride or two. Fortunately the weather here is mild now, with daily highs in the mid-70s.