3.17.2006

Past Ellie's place

I cycled past Ellie's winter homestead today but I didn't see her! She must still be having fun with the extended family somewhere. Gosh, I haven't seen either her or Dianne around here for over a month now! I hope they're okay!

I continued on my way eastward out of town, through Apache Junction.

The history of modern day Apache Junction actually began in 1921, when Governor George P. Hunt, Arizona's first governor, recommended the construction of the Globe-Phoenix Highway which eventually linked the Salt River Valley with the mineral-rich Globe-Miami copper mining district with a modern surfaced highway. The Apache Trail soon became obsolete after the construction of the Globe-Phoenix Highway. After 1921 the Apache Trail served as a tourist route and a haul road for the Salt River Water Users Association.