1.23.2006

Ten more downhill

Why can't all my miles be downhill? I had a little wrong-shoes problem today, but I just wore my running shoes and pedaled on my Look pedals as if they were platforms. It did the job. Ten more screaming downhill miles* went quickly. Every downhill means another climb some time in the future, though.

I passed the road leading to Borrego Springs, but didn't turn off, since my supplies are still doing fine.

It's still hard to comprehend the distances out here - 111 miles of cycling, and I'm still in San Diego county. "Until the 1930s the Borrego Valley was one of the most isolated and least-known parts of San Diego County. Life there in the little homesteader community of Borego was still primitive. As late as 1940 there was not a single paved road in the valley, no electrical lines, no telephones. It was San Diego County's last frontier."

"
The Spanish word borrego . . . means a yearling lamb. Colloquially it also means a simpleton, or a fool." Fortunately, that doesn't apply to me, right? I'm just a-passin' through.


*And then another 7.5 of the same, to here.