1.03.2006

On the road in Pacific Beach

Since it's San Diego, with America's mildest weather, naturally we're enjoying comfortable 65*F temperatures and 12 mph seaward winds as I begin my journey. I take one last trip way down to the end of the pier, past the folks fishing and look over the ocean, admiring the majestic view. The surfers bob in the waves below, sitting on their surfboards chatting and waiting for the next set of swells.

I head out first past my old friend Debbie's place in Pacific Beach on Beryl Street - oh, the times we had!!! - then up the coast, through the lovely hills of La Jolla and through Torrey Pines past the golf course, and then back down past Del Mar Racetrack, and into Carlsbad. I ran a wonderful half marathon there in 2002.

Here's my route for the first 26.4 miles.